Akkerman (or Bilhorod-Dnistrovskyi) Castle is one of the largest medieval castles in Ukraine, historical and architectural monument of XIII-XV centuries. Located in the city of Bilhorod-Dnistrovskyi on the Dniester estuary, 18 km from the Black Sea and 81 km from Odessa (P70 road).
The fortress was built on the remains of the Greek town Thira, the date of founding is unknown. It is believed that the founders were Genoese, who came to the Black Sea region in the thirteenth century. Since then the castle has been changed many times: in 1440 it has been significantly expanded by Moldovans (there were 34 towers, some reaching the height of 20 m or 63 ft) outside the fortress was surrounded by a deep moat. Then an unknown segment appeared (preserved till today), which is very close to the estuary – 10 stone balls are immured into the wall as a kind of talisman. In 1457 the castle was completed by Romanians (strong walls and Kiliya gate appeared, which now serves as the main entrance to the fortress). In 1707 Turks were engaged in the building process, they invited French military engineers for this, and since 1756 the completion of the fortress occurred almost annually. In the XV century the mosque was erected on the territory, and only the minaret remained till today.
Perimeter of Akkerman Fortress walls is 2.5 km (1.5 miles), the total area – over 9 hectares (22 acres). The wall thickness ranges from 1.5 to 5 m (5 – 16 ft), height of walls and towers is from 5 to 15 m (16 – 50 ft). From the north fortress walls approach very close to the Dniester estuary. On the other three sides the moat surrounds the castle, now 13-14 m (43-46 ft) deep. The inner wall of the ditch is a few meters higher that outer one.
The foundation of the fortress complex is the Citadel – the most fortified part, built by the Genoese. It consists of four large towers, one of which is dilapidated (the rest are in almost perfect condition). Citadel courtyard area is 300 m² (360 sq. yards). There are many rooms and an extensive network of underground tunnels.
Fortress is divided into several yards by internal walls, the Citadel is located in garrison yard, which has an area of about 2 hectares (5 acres). And the biggest yard is the Civic (area - 5 ha or 12 acres), the central gate of the fortress leads to it. Yards are surrounded by high walls with a system of towers.
In Soviet times, the fortress has been using for filming, particularly in 1975, in the film "Captain Nemo".
Contacts of the administration complex: 2, Ushakova str., Bilhorod-Dnistrovskyi (firstname.lastname@example.org). Phone: +380 (48) 496-97-18