Pidhirtsi Castle (or Pidhirtsi Palace) is an architectural monument of the late Renaissance and Baroque. Large French style stone castle was built in the 1630's under the direction of the Italian engineer and architect Andrea dell’Aqua. The complex includes a two-storey palace with three-storey pavilions on either side and a tower. It is considered one of the best samples of Renaissance palace and bastion fortifications in Europe.
The castle, built with brick and stone, is located on the edge of the flat plateau, standing at 399 meters (1309 ft) above sea level, overlooking the Styr River valley. The castle takes the form of an open square nearly 100 meters (330 ft) on a side. There are pentagonal bastions on the corners. Dungeons are arranged between the inner and outer walls of the castle, the roof of which is paved with smooth stone slabs, forming terraces enclosed by balustrades. These terraces were apparently used for walking, and in the case of military needs – to place cannons. The bastions tops are crowned with cavalier towers made of sandstone. From the east, south and west the castle is surrounded by the line of defence (deep stone-lined ditch and agger).
The facades of the castle have obvious "French look", and one can witness a wonderful view from the windows: in case of good weather the area of tens of kilometres is visible to the north.
Unfortunately, the unique interior of the castle was destroyed, the building was repeatedly looted during the First and Second World Wars, the sculptures were moved to Leningrad (now – St. Petersburg), in 1956 there was a big fire here, later – the health retreat operated here for many years. In 1997 Pidhirtsi Castle was conveyed to Lviv Art Gallery, which preserved 85% of the things from the castle in its collections. Today the building is closed for restoration and reconstruction work (clearing from the later rebuilding and giving the original look are underway), but the surrounding area and the facade are accessible.
In the 1970s D'Artagnan’s fight with the guards of Cardinal for the film "D'Artagnan and Three Musketeers" (1978) was filmed here: the hero carried diamond pendants to Pidhirtsi from the “Duke of Buckingham”, located 6 km from Olesk. Much of the filming of " King Stakh's Wild Hunt" (1979) movie was made here as well.
370 m (400 yards) north of the castle the Church of the Exaltation of the Holy and St. Joseph was built. It’s an integral part of the ensemble (with a French style park, partially saved). The church has a form of baroque rotunda with a diameter of 12 meters, its main façade is decorated with columns and statues of saints (one of eight was destroyed during the World War II), from the the sides lime avenue leading to the palace there are sculptures of St. Joseph and Mary, mother of Jesus (XVIII century).
At the road to Pidhirtsi (on the left when driving from Zolochiv) one can find the industrial era landmark – Pidhirtsi brewery, built in the middle of the XVIII century. Fortification walls of ancient city Plisnensk (X-XII centuries.) are preserved here as well.
You can reach the castle complex by the international highway M06: Olesko-Brody road is in 2 km from the palace.
"Pidhirtsi Castle" Museum phone: +380 (3266) 03-07-40